Monday, February 1, 2021

Seal on the Ouse

As I sit here ensconced indoors with my morning coffee, gazing outside at the falling snow, I sigh repeatedly for a hint of spring. It has been a long, bleak winter, made all the more claustrophobic with pandemic restrictions. It is therefore no wonder that a couple of days ago I dreamed of verdant pastures and sparkling rivers, blue skies and the fresh breezes of March. I had been having bitter quarrels with my wife, who being in an intractable mood, cast me outdoors to roam at will. Feeling upon me the vagrant pull of wanderlust, and eager to shrug off the hoary cobwebs of winter, I took myself along the River Ouse to Lewes, where I came upon a romanticised and Arcadian setting.

Clement weather had lured people out of doors, and they sat in joyful clusters on the green banks of the Ouse and its surrounding fields. Some people played ball games, others played guitar and sang folk songs, whilst still others followed the all pervading instinct of the war ape to create conflict with its fellow man. No sooner had I arrived on the scene and praised my good fortune at discovering it, than an old busybody gentleman aspiring for a seat on the town council began to harangue a group of of the aforementioned minstrels. They had placed four traffic cones around themselves, and the busybody complained that they were in repeated violation of some obscure trespassing clause. I moved on, unwilling to let the mounting ugliness of the scene intrude on my serene state of mind.

I walked closer to the river, enjoying the sight of the sun reflecting off its blue ripples, and the feeling of springy turf underfoot. A fisherman sat with his line cast in the water, oblivious to all but his bobbing lure. I noticed a disturbance in the water, a grey hump breaking the surface and wallowing close to shore. Seized by curiosity, I followed the hump as it left a V-shaped wake behind it, the smooth water gliding over its glistening curve as it undulated on its way. The fisherman sat by a large rock that protruded all the way into the water, so I had to circumnavigate them both to follow the hump, annoyed that he should be impeding me quite so much. When I came to the other side of the rock, a group of people had already beaten me there and were excitedly watching the creature.

It was a seal, that much was apparent now that it had raised its head out of the water, seemingly nonplussed by the small crowd. Over the heads of the gathering, I tried to make out what species it was. Judging by its round, blunt face, V-shaped nostrils, and distinctly non-equine shaped head, as is found on the grey, I deduced that it must be a harbor seal (Phoca vitulina). I was about to take a photograph and send it to my wife, whereupon I remembered our fight and thought better of it. After watching the seal gambolling in the shallows for some time, I grew weary of the noisy people and wandered off for some peace and quiet. I struck off towards a newly built facility made up of kick start business suites and dormitories.

There was no one around so I entered the building and went upstairs, inhaling that sharp scent of new upholstery and furnishings. I strolled through the smart offices, experiencing vague sensations of unfulfilled ambition, and a little envy towards the students who would soon be moving in to embark on promising careers. The afternoon sun filtered through the window of the dormitory bedroom I was in, creating a shaft of dust motes, and I looked out at the neat plants arranged in wooden planters around the inner courtyard. Suddenly I heard voices coming up to my floor, induction tours by the sound of it, so I made a stealthy exit through a back stairwell. I did not want to be caught snooping around, for despite the unlocked doors, the building was supposed to be off limits.

On my way out, I heard the security guard arguing with a middle aged woman about her rejected accommodation application. She was one of those insufferable, argumentative, completely hopeless types one often encounters in academic institutions, or anywhere else forbearing enough to tolerate them. They usually suffer from a mild psychosis and are just functional enough to avoid being sectioned. This lady was no exception, and I reflected that such a person was undeserving of such a nice apartment. I went to sit on a bench in the aforementioned courtyard amongst the succulents. I closed my eyes to better appreciate the sun on my cheeks and the smell of fresh resin when the annoying lady wandered in, all frizzled hair and frazzled expression. I got up and left, knowing there would be no peace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment