Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Potholing and Hotdogs

A couple of weeks ago, before contracting Covid, I dreamt that I was caving at Heartbreak Hotel. On the top floor is a crawlspace in the wall, a sort of sideways loft, and it was in here that we used to dump all our unwanted belongings. As a result, the loft was filled with all manner of paraphernalia: books, soft toys, PC games, college coursework, bags of clothes, etc. Whenever someone went in there, Daddy would hear the door opening and shout "You'd better not be dumping!" This time we were not dumping, we were excavating and caving. 

Similar to the phantom hallway in Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves, a strange hole had appeared amongst all the clutter. After some time spent tentatively probing it, I decided to launch a full scale expedition down there alone, with a rope tied around my waist. Li and my sisters watched as I cleared away armfuls of junk from the opening and lowered myself down. Each time the wooden beams supporting the crawlspace creaked from our movements, Daddy would shout up, "Get out of the loft!" I ignored him and lowered myself into the hole, confident he would never find me.

I shone a torch down the twisting shaft, but was unable to see too far down on account of all the clutter. It was necessary to excavate lots of it by throwing it up through the opening above me. At each turn in the descent, more rubbish needed to be cleared away, and as the bags of toys and clothes piled up above me, a real sense of claustrophobia started to kick in. I remembered John Jones trapped down in the Nutty Putty Cave, the same thing could easily happen to me, suffocating under heaps of accumulated household stuff. The minimalist in me was also deeply distressed, but it was too late to turn back, the hole must be conquered.

Sadly, I never got to finish the potholing, for the dream transitioned to something new. I was with Sir David Attenborough in a large warehouse, along with a worker conducting us on a tour. Tall metal shelves towered above us, and suspended on metal rods from the ceiling were cylindrical shaped packages resembling nuclear warheads or torpedoes. "Are those... sausages?" David asked, chuckling at the very idea. "Technically hotdogs," the tour guide told us, "this is a hotdog factory."

"My goodness," David laughed, exceedingly tickled by this revelation. Indeed, the weiners above us were of an immensity that would impress even the staunchest of vegans. I noticed then that the unwrapped ones were skewered on huge rotisseries, slowly rotating as they cooked. On the walls were stacks of grills, where smaller variants, but still gigantic by sausage standards, were being cooked. These would then roll off the trays and be tightly wrapped ready for shipment. They still looked more like sausages than hotdogs.

"Would you like to borrow one?" the tour guide asked us. "Oh yes please," said David, "my wife would be very interested in seeing such a giant sausage." I wasn't sure that I could return one of these monster hotdogs in a pristine state, so I asked if I could buy one instead. "This would feed my family for a week," I explained. The guide was unsure, they usually only loaned them out, but he went to fetch some giant boxes and to ask his supervisor. Whilst I waited, I wondered what use these things would be if we weren't allowed to eat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment