Thursday, October 1, 2015

Midnight Seal

This was the first dream featuring Hao House so I suppose it's notable enough to write down. Bear in mind that I dream a lot and only a small percentage of them make it to the blog, most often as not they're not fit for public scrutiny! In this dream I was sitting in the living room at night with my older sister watching animal documentaries when my other two sisters, who were in the garden, shouted for me to join them. I went outside into the summer night and heard the gentle rushing of surf not far away. The whole back garden had opened up and was no longer bordered by the neighbours' fences on either side. I saw reflections from the moon dancing on undulating ripples and smelled the sharp tang of sea salt. The sea had come to our garden, separated from the lawn by a stretch of pebbled sand and gorse.

Far out on the water, I saw the sleek forms of dolphins cavorting in the moonlight, streaking through the calm like flashes of quicksilver. I then saw something bulky and ponderous hauling itself along the shore towards me in the dark. It seemed like a big dog crawling on its belly, rolls of fat quivering during its approach. My sisters ran down to greet it and the animal snorted affectionately through slitted nostrils, a large grey seal come to pay a visit. Once it reached the grass, it rolled onto its back and waved its flippers around as my sisters tickled and stroked its belly, clearly familiar with the animal and its antics. I believe the dream was most likely inspired by the two hedgehogs who visit the garden on a nightly basis. Over the weekend Li and I watched their midnight courtship for a full twenty minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment