Saturday, October 8, 2022

Midlife Crisis

I dreamt that I was divorced from my wife and shacked up with a much younger woman, someone I knew from my university days. We had met during a heavy drinking session at the student bar, and were now in a double bed together, although I don't think anything had actually happened between us. The woman began to comment on my appearance, telling me that I was no longer as attractive as I had been in my younger days. I am not a vain person, so I took the comments without offence, even agreeing with her. I told her that I was a lot older than when we first met. She was not content with leaving things there, and went on to point out all my failings, including whiting hair, and a droopiness about my face. I asked her if the solution was to dye my hair and get botox. She folded her arms and pouted, moving over to her side of the bed.

I realised that I did not want to continue relations with this young woman. I was on the verge of suggesting that we broke up, as I did not have the luxury of time to waste my energy on a doomed fling. However, my resolve faltered at the last moment, and the words stuck in my throat. I worried about how she would react, and thought perhaps it would be better for her to take the initiative so that my conscience would be clear. The more I dwelled on it, the more I realised that it had been a mistake to divorce my wife. I was awoken by her at that point, but, still half asleep, I told her to leave me be, as I needed to break up with my new girlfriend first. I don't usually write these kinds of dreams down, but it could be useful to have as a record of my state of mind at this point in my life, for better or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment