Friday, January 6, 2023

Gliding into 2023

My first notable dream of 2023 was a wholesome one as far as my dreams usually go. I was using a PSVR (PlayStation Virtual Reality) device to experience Elon Musk's play boy activities through his eyes. The technology had been updated to the degree where you could actually experience all 5 sensations of sight, sound, smell, taste, and touch in a real life situation, as though you were actually there. In this scenario, Musk was riding an electric Tesla moped, a new invention of his, on the top of a huge military cargo plane. He was live broadcasting the stunt to Twitter, inviting anyone to use their VR headsets to tap in. I was describing the experience to a friend, Mr Robot, over mic, who had yet to make the plunge. Comments on the livestream came pouring in. Musk's sychophants gushed about how inspirational he was, whilst his detractors complained it was a reckless, dangerous, self-indulgent and expensive thing to do whilst so many people were struggling with rising living costs.

Elon drove the moped back and forth over the plane, which was soaring at an altitude of over a thousand feet. Bumping along the riveted metal hulk, I looked down but could only see snatches of ocean through the cloud cover. A helicopter hovered over the proceedings, dangling a handle at the end of a cord, which Musk could grab onto should things go pear shaped. Musk was having far too much fun to be cautious, and he let go of the grip to exert greater control over the moped. New comments condemned Musk for performing the stunt on a prototype vehicle that hadn't been fully tested, whilst petrol heads ranted about the 'soyness' of electric vehicles. As exhilarating as the experience was, I've never had a head for flying, and the greatest enjoyment was yet to come. Having tired of his aerial sports, like a kid throwing away one toy for the novelty of a new one, Musk had the airforce land him in the ocean and leave him alone on an electrically powered catamaran. 

The craft was controlled by dipping pedals, causing a sail to inflate and catch the wind from various angles. I/Musk went zipping along over the gentle swell in all directions, enjoying the feeling of the rushing wind on our faces, and the spray of water as we made sharp turns. I tweaked my VR interface to try and shareplay the experience with Mr Robot, wanting him to be as equally wowed. He had trouble connecting, so I had to describe the breathtaking experience on the fly. Before long, the catamaran was joined by a school of inquisitive common bottlenose dolphins. I saw their metallic grey heads with white under markings poking above the surface for a peek. Despite their friendly nature, I didn't want to get too close, and it was at that moment I realised I was no longer a passive voyeur, but now had control over the craft. This was some next level immersion. Ripples in the water indicated shoals of fish that the dolphins were corralling into bait balls. My feets were under the water, and as I sliced through them, I felt the stinging impact of tiny fish. I pulled my feet up onto the board, as I don't care for fish. The sensations of freedom and freshness were beyond words, and my awakening came far too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment