Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Cooksbridge Condors

It was a grey sort of day, and I was looking at the garden through the patio windows when I noticed two rather large birds in the field beyond the fence. You know how your eye is instinctively drawn towards anything out of the pale? Well it was this scenario. "Li, come and look at these weird birds!" I called to my wife, who came over. The birds were larger than pheasants, the birds we're used to seeing in the field, and far more rotund, almost like turkeys. Their feathers were speckled brown, like a hen's, but their heads and necks were bald and wrinkled. Sexual dimorphism indicated that a male and female were present. After pecking around in the ditch, they waddled up the bank and into our garden. It was then I could identify them as condors.

Condors are large birds. The Andean condor has one of the largest wingspans of all flying birds, and the largest of all raptors. I do not know what species these were, but as they drew nearer to the glass doors, I realised there was something monstrous about them. I got my phone out to take photos, but as is always the case in dreams, the camera wouldn't work. The condors had spotted us, and rather than take off, as most birds would, they came closer still, right up to the glass. They had long, hideous crocodilian snouts, brimming with sharp teeth. Their snouts clattered against the window as they tried to bite us. Eventually, when they realised they weren't getting through, they wandered off.

Next to visit our garden was a huge fuzzy Procoptodon, a kind of prehistoric kangaroo. It bounded into the middle of the lawn, turned to look at me with its bear-like face, then leaped away again. I think I may have managed to get a photo this time. Later on in the dream, more exotic creatures made an appearance in the field. They were peafowl-like birds, equipped with razor spurs and shimmering, metallic tail feathers. Quite a curious assemblage.

No comments:

Post a Comment