Sunday, April 30, 2023

Coil

Things have been busy lately so I haven't had a large amount of time to keep up with blogging. As a result, I am writing up an old dream from some weeks past. I dreamt about a horror film called Coil, straight from the annals of my own imagination. The film doesn't exist, so don't try to search for it. Ewan McGregor was a murderous vigilante with a coiled neck. His origin story was that he met some orphans in Bolivia and became 'the People's Serpent' to protect them from local mobsters. He would protect the children by encircling them with his deformed neck. His neck was a bit like the bloated lekku of Bib Fortuna from Return of the Jedi, albeit more maggoty, sweaty, and viscerally disgusting.

Much of the film was set in a sunny American state, where he played the 'nice guy'/ love interest of the female lead. Towards the end of the film, his identity as Coil is revealed and he is linked to a string of grisly murders they were investigating. He managed to hide his deformity throughout much the film by always wearing a scarf. In the final act, he unwraps the scarf to reveal his fat neck coils which can unwind to strangulate prey. He then proceeded to chase the heroine through the house, where she was alone at night. The film reminded me a lot of Slither (2006) for its aesthetics and practical effects. I don't know what induced me to have such a dream, but I thought it was sufficiently unusual enough to warrant a short post. Perhaps it can find its way into a novel one day, in some form. 

No comments:

Post a Comment