Friday, May 26, 2023

Dinosaur Denial

A few nights ago I dreamt that my eldest sister and her family had moved to a bigger house in the country. We all went to visit them, and the children were playing outside in the garden which was open to the surrounding fields and woods. At first it seemed like an ideal setting for them, and Fallon was gushing about how much better it was for the children than their old place. That was, until I noticed that they were surrounded by dinosaurs. The dinosaurs roamed freely, but when I pointed them out, Fallon seemed in denial. It was likely that she did not want to admit to the folly in buying a house in such a dangerous location.

I stood in the field, with her husband Aaron, as the sky turned pink and the sun slowly began to set. A herd of Amargasaurus rumbled by in the distance, and enormous Pteranodons swooped in the meadow, catching creatures in the gathering dusk. I tried to figure out what prey they were catching, when one of them flew close I looked at the struggling animal in its beak but could not work out what it was. I commented on how large and terrifying the pterasaurs were, but Aaron, like his wife, simply shurgged and downplayed the threat.

I then looked up the hill that rose to the woods and spied a gigantic Spinosaurus that had taken an interest in us and was cautiously approaching. I could see the outline of its ragged sail against the setting sun, and it's elongated head, almost duck-like, bobbing and weaving as it regarded us. When I pointed it out, Aaron reluctantly agreed to move inside and bring the children, but Fallon kept the patio doors wide open. I told her that the Spinosaurus could easily stick its head inside and eat her children, plucking them out one by one like a fox in a coop. She told me it was a lovely summer's evening and she wouldn't close the doors. She also told me off for trying to ruin their joy in put a downer on things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment