Monday, August 3, 2026

Ullswater Crescent Backrooms

I've had this dream so many times now that I'm running out of ideas for blog entry titles. In this dream, I had once again purchased the Plymouth house (where it all began) and moved in with my family. This was a big upheaval, leaving all friends, jobs, and school behind, starting from scratch and knowing nobody. The house was in much better condition than I remember it ever being before, barely recognisable, in fact. The walls had all been repainted, and the rooms themselves expanded. There were two large bedrooms, and one small children's room. 

However, as we began unpacking our things and deciding on where to put everything, the cracks started to appear. I tried to shave and noticed that the bathroom sink was far smaller than what I was used to. The fittings were somewhat loose and flimsy. The windows were small and hard to open. I wondered if the place was still haunted. On going into Lulu's room, I realised that it was far, far too small for all her things, with absolutely no floor space to play on. It was then that a door was flung open by itself. We went to investigate, and peered down a steep flight of stairs into darkness.

It was a cellar! And the stairs were blocked full of boxes and furniture. Li must have stuffed them down there. I did not like the idea of the cellar leading directly to my daughter's room. I turned on the stair light and slowly descended, kicking the obsctructions down along the way. They plummeted down the staircase, crashing and smashing to lie on the cellar floor. 

"Hello!" I called down, worried that there might be squatters, or worse, hiding in the shadows. I flicked on the main light switch and saw that the cellar was vast, dirty, and packed full of junk. A door in a wall was half open, and I saw our neighbour on the other side of it. Having our cellars joined like this was not ideal, so I slammed the door shut and barricaded it with junk. The thought that our neighbour could so easily pass into our side of the cellar, than up the stairs to my daughter's room, was scary. Li appeared and told me she had stowed all of these items on the cellar staircase because the main house was too small for most of it. 

Back upstairs, I saw the carpet bulging as something tunnelled, mole-like, underneath it. I realised it was our dog Beibei, who had somehow got himself trapped beneath the loose fitting carpet. I pulled it up, ripping nails from the floorboards, and managed to 'massage' him out through the opening. This was the moment when I really began to regret the move and the house purchase. What luxury we had left behind to come here! Not only that, but there were numerous subtle signs that the ghost was still here, perhaps hiding in dormancy, waiting for the right time to strike. And our the people living on our street looked dodgy as hell...



No comments:

Post a Comment