Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Green Hand

In last night's dream I was working my drudge of an admin job which was strangely situated in my parents' back garden. Next door there was a lush and blooming community garden maintained by a team of conservationists called Green Hand or something, and I had had my eye on their organisation for a long time. I arranged to do some volunteer work with them on my lunch break, and was recruited by a kindly, plump middle-aged lady with rosy cheeks. It was a hot summer's day and the two gardens were baking beneath a fierce sun. When my lunch break finally came around, I closed down my desk, and unravelled the hose pipe. My task was to top up the water in the pond next door, to maintain the biodiversity and ensure there was enough moisture for the amphibians living there.

In the community garden, I was about to start filling up the pond when I saw two salamanders mating. Such a rare occurrence called for a photo, so I took my phone out of my pocket. Just at that moment, my boss turned up and asked why I had abandoned my post. I tried to explain that it was my lunch break and I was supposed to be helping out here, but she led me away saying there were more important, work-related matters to discuss. I begrudgingly threw the hose down and followed her out of the garden, biting back resentment. I cast a quick glance at the many toads and frogs swimming beneath the surface of the pond, or sprawled out over lily pads.

When my shift ended, I explained to the Green Hand lady that I had been unable to complete the task she assigned me. However, she cheerfully told me that another job awaited should I feel up to it. In the fields behind the house, a herd of zebras had strayed too far from their pasture, and she wanted me to corral them back in. I went out into the fields, long yellow savannah grass tickling my bare legs. The zebras would run off as I got closer, so I circled round behind them and began herding them back towards where they needed to be. There were a number of foals with fuzzy manes and velvety muzzles, and all the animals were bathed in a soft golden glow. A feeling of intense well-being and contentment swept over me as I completed the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment