Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Feral Giraffe

In Lucid Leaking, I wrote about my fear of water invading my home and damaging the walls. Well, that dream turned out to be a prophetic one, as my washing machine packed in yesterday and flooded the house with black water. I spent most of the day cleaning, and it was most galling in that I have only a few days ago paid £330 for a professional deep clean. The dream must have been a warning.

Last night I dreamt that I was exploring the countryside on a grey and drizzly day. I wanted to find somewhere for a wild swim, as previously I had noticed still pools of water enclosed by moist, verdant banks. I wasn't having any luck finding these idyllic pools, but I did stumble across the homestead of an old hermit in the woods. He came outside to see what I wanted, and I asked if I was trespassing. He assured me I wasn't, but that I should watch out for the feral giraffe in the area.

It wasn't long before the beast in question made an appearance, winding between the trees and rubbing its mangy, moulting neck against the rough trunk of a tall pine. The giraffe was someway between an adult and baby, perhaps a teenager, and it seemed quite emaciated. It also had jagged teeth protruding from its mouth, and feverish, bloodshot eyes. The giraffe spotted us and gave chase in that rocking horse gait they are known for.

The hermit turned and ran into the bracken, clearly experienced in the animal's agressive ways. The giraffe rounded on me, and I clambered onto a large fallen tree trunk to try and escape. It tried to mount the trunk to get at me but it got wedged between two branches. It gnashed its dirty teeth in an attempt to bite my shoulder, but I took the opportunity to jump off the tree and escape. I wonder if this dream will also be prophetic - a usually gentle animal turning feral.

No comments:

Post a Comment